Friday, October 28, 2005

Thank God... I'm not expecting and Amazon

When the nice man at the coffee shop congratulated me, told me what a blessing my baby is, and then asked me how many days until I was due, I almost turned his coffee over on his head and ran away crying! Instead, I composed myself, thanked him, told him I still had 9 weeks to go, and went on my way wondering all the way up the street if was going to give birth to a toddler! The rest of me is still regular size but my belly... oh my belly! I am the same size as all the women in my birth class who are due a month before me and the ones that are due around the same time are way smaller than me. My midwife swears that I am simply just vertically challenged and don't have anywhere else to put this kid since I am so petite. Well, I just wasn't buying it. Chris was a 10lb baby and I was sure that Riley was going to be even bigger. I was anxiously awaiting this morning's ultrasound and was sure they were going to tell me that he was already 5lbs (and since they gain 1/2lb to 3/4lb every week from now until the end, I was very, very afraid). But good news came my way and I walked out of my appointment feeling lighter just from the news that my little bundle is only about 3 1/2 lbs - which puts him on par to weigh around 8lbs at birth. PHEW! You all know I am super duper gung ho about having natural childbirth so I you can only imagine my relief at learning that my child is, so far, a normal size.

No comments: